Welcome To The Spun Threads

Welcome to another poetry blog. I spin these poems because I feel the need to write about what I feel. If someone else enjoys them, that is a bonus.

I hope you enjoy what you read here. Let me know what strikes you.


These are the threads of my life




Tuesday, November 27, 2007

An Amber Moment

This poem actually has meaning to it. It is not one of a type of poem I will introduce you to later, my word-salad nonsense poems where you feel like you can almost understand them, but something was lost in translation. I have several of those I am very fond of, but this is not one of them. This actually describes a moment I lived through the other day and the resolution, which came over a much longer period of time than suggested by the poem. Truth be told it is vague, because I like to create pictures and play with words. Sometimes I think I am simply obfuscating for obfuscation's sake. Frankly it is fun to do. I also fell in love when I was younger with a technique the bards used, particularly in Beowulf. Instead of the ocean they would say whale-road. there were other examples, but that one stuck in my mind (I think they were called koans, or something like that). I often like to put this kind of descriptive word pattern in a poem to replace a much more mundane word. In the end, the meaning you take from this poem, or any of my poems for that matter, may be much removed from what I was thinking. That is good. What I like to do is describe with ferocious intensity a moment or thought or feeling. Then I let you apply that to your own moments or thoughts or feelings. The vagueness makes up for the difference between our individual experiences. You may not have been where I have been, but you have felt what I have felt. I like to leave them open to interpretation. If anyone were to ever read this little blog, and so far I see no evidence that anyone has, and were to request an interpretation, I would be happy to oblige. For me, though, these poems are a bit of sleight of hand/illusion, if you will. Telling is like...telling. Once you know how it is done it isn't as exciting. So if you ask, I am too much of a compulsive "self-exposer" to refrain from sharing the thoughts behind them to you, but don't say I didn't warn you. The sparkle is oftentimes best preserved with a handful of pixie-dust and a visit from the Blue Fairy.

No comments: